Blicket is another one of our quartet of winners from LAHacks. The team is from UCSB; left to right above are Marcus Bernales (’15) and Brandon Shin (’14).
Blicket helps process will-call tickets. Rather than the usual and slow exchange of: “what is your name?” and “can I see your ID?”, or the slightly faster QR code scanning, this application leverages Apple iBeacon technology in the form of a beacon like a Qualcomm Gimbal, located in the will-call window.
The full flow is as follows:
- Some time before reaching the will-call window, the ticket is purchased and that generates an ticket ID that is sent and stored in the Blicket App.
- Later, as the event-goer gets closer to the will-call window, the Blicket app receives the BLE transmission from the beacon.
- The Blicket mobile app then sends the ticket ID and a picture of the person to the Bliket server-side app.
- The picture and ticket details are then pushed to the browser operated by the person manning the will-call window.
- When the event-goer gets to the front of the line, his picture is used to quickly confirm his identity and the ticket is issued.
And enjoy the concert!