(Page in progress…)
Why Castellers? Because
- Castells are built by a group. Its a large effort that builds a single structure. The group includes the people that are directly in the castell but also everybody around it, and the public.
- Castells are very egalitarian. There is a base and there is a top, but every piece matters; if a piece fails, the whole castell will fail
- Castells are very technical. They are hard to put together, keep in place, and to take apart in a controlled manner.
- Castell competitions are competitions, but friendly.
- Castells represent a wider cultural context. They are very grounded, in a culture and a society.
- Castells are (increasingly) diverse. It’s great to see more women and girls participating, from multiple cultural backgrounds.
Pictures are (crops of):
- Maria Artiga – Taken on April 19, 2009. Colla: Bordegassos de Vilanova.
- Ajuntament de Vilanova i la Geltru – Diada Castellera de la Festa Major de Vilanova i la Geltru.
- Palau Robert. Generalitat de Calatalunya. Colla Vella dels Xiquets de Valls preparant la pinya. DIada de Santa Ursula. October 24, 2014.